The Fil-Am Catholic Ministry:
This group is comprised of both Filipinos and Americans who, in one way or another, share a common bond of heritage to the Philippine Culture and the Catholic faith. Although the majority of active membership come from Holy Name of Jesus, our community is embraced and supported by Filipino Catholics from other churches of our Diocese, i.e., Christ Our Redeemer (Bluewater Bay), Our Lady of Victory (Crestview), St. Mary's (Fort Walton Beach), St. Margaret (DeFuniak Springs), Blessed Trinity (Bonifay), St. Sylvester (Navarre). These members participate in all our community endeavors, whether they be prayer services, fun activities, or fund-raising efforts for our parishes.
The mission of our Fil-Am Catholic ministry is to journey together in faith, adhering to the many beautiful devotions and religious traditions inherent to our Filipino culture. We try to reach out to other Filipinos who have lost or abandoned their Catholic faith, and evangelize to those who are un-churched. Having strong devotions to our Blessed Mother, our group gathers together to honor our Lady in her many divine capacities.
1. On the first and third Saturdays of the month, at 3 pm, Novena and Prayer Service to Our Lady of Fatima. (Held at the home of one of the members)
2. On Wednesday evenings at 7 pm, Prayer Service in honor of Our Lady of Perpetual Help.
(Held at a member's home)
3. Once a year on the Feast of the Divine Mercy, we sponsor the Divine Mercy Chaplet and Prayer Service at the Church, at 3pm, followed by a reception in the parish hall. Open to all parishioners.
4. When a member or a member of their family passes away, we hold a 9-day Novena and 40-day prayer service at the home of the deceased, and offer our support to the grieving family members.
5. In May of each year, we celebrate the Feast of our Lady of Fatima with a celebration and procession called A Flores de Mayo. This is held at St. Margaret church in DeFuniak Springs.
6. Also at St. Margaret, we participate in October-Fest, to celebrate the feast of our Lady of the Rosary.
7. Once a year we attend a special Retreat at the Ark of the Covenant, facilitated by a priest.
8. Fund-raising Ministry:
a. Twice a year, our Group (assisted by the Korean Catholic Community) actively participates in the Parish Rummage Sale to raise funds for the Parish Life Center, by selling Asian Food which are cooked and donated by our members.
b. Two or three times a year, our group bags groceries for seven to eight hours at Winn-Dixie Store. All donated tips are turned in to the Church for the Parish Life Center Building Fund.
Father Nelson Toledo
Retired USAF Military Chaplain
Hm Ph: 850-678-7429